Yet another techie's blog

The rants and occassional rave of a desktop support tech workin' (if you can call it that) for the government.

Monday, October 31, 2005

A techie blog first: product reviews

It's really only a first on this blog because I've got nothing else to write about and I don't want to go another month without updating.

First on the table: Netgear's WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router.
Why am I reviewing this? 'Cause I just bought it and it's cool. The reason I decided to upgrade my current wireless router is that my sister just got a new laptop and signed up for broadband, so rather than have her plunk down more money on a wireless router, I figured it'd be better if I gave her mine and upgraded what I've got. Aren't I a great brother? Also, my router kept dropping the connection, so it was either toss it out the window or give it away.

And now....the review.
This router rocks. It looks very cool, a little macish-looking, but it's small and the signal hasn't dropped off once (well..except for that one time...but my cordless phone was right next to my laptop and the phone rang).
The idea of the router is that it has 7 internal antennas which find the best route between the router and all connected devices. Essentially, the antennas are supposed to move around sources of interference (microwaves, cell phones, other wireless APs). If you look at the pictures on the box you'll see they have a nice diagram of the wireless signals bouncing and refracting from the router to the connected PCs and laptops. How Netgear managed to make a wireless signal bend in mid-air is beyond me. Maybe one of my astronomy and physics-minded readers can fill me in on how that's possible.
The main downside is that the dome on the router is really bright, so if your internet hookup is in your bedroom (like mine is), it might be a little too bright while you're trying to sleep. They do include a cap that is supposed to cover the antenna dome, but it 1) doesn't block out all the light and 2) it blocks out the neat display of the antennas moving around.
Also, you can't mount it on the wall, which kinda bites. Especially if you had the last one on the wall and there isn't room on your desk for it. I'll get by.

In closing, I would highly recommend this router if you live in an area that is saturated with other people's wireless signals. Also recommended is the RangeMax wireless PC card (WPN511).
If you still have trouble with other people goofing with your wireless signal, get Pre-N. The goal is to get something incompatible with everyone else's AP, so that's either 802.11A or Pre-N.

Of course, if you get something that's too incompatible you won't be able to do any wardriving when your connection goes down.

Maybe I'll make this a regular feature, we'll see. I do take requests. If you want me to review something, buy it for me and I'll review it and tell you to buy one for yourself. I figure this is useful for people who have more money than me and like being told what to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home